[Tempest] OpenSack Powered * vs OpeStack Compatible

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Sun Feb 23 01:43:57 UTC 2020

 ---- On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 08:21:54 -0600 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
 > On 2020-02-22 10:04:06 +0000 (+0000), prakash RAMCHANDRAN wrote:
 > [...]
 > > does anyone think that Open Infra Distro like Airship or StarlingX
 > > should promote Open Infra Airship or Open Infra  StarlingX powered
 > > as a new way to promote eco system surrounding them similar to
 > > OpenStack compatible drivers and software. Will then Argo,
 > > customize, Metal3.io or Ironic be qualified as Open Infra Airship
 > > compatible?
 >
 > Those are probably questions for the Airship and StarlingX
 > communities, so I don't know how much input the OpenStack community
 > is going to have (or should expect to have) on those topics.
 >
 > > If so how tempest can help in testing the above comments?
 > [...]
 >
 > Tempest is a QA tool for validating OpenStack APIs, so it could in
 > theory be used to test any OpenStack services deployed within/using
 > Airship or StarlingX. The reason the OpenStack logo programs rely on
 > Tempest is because it's what the OpenStack community has used for
 > testing OpenStack services. If there are interoperability problems
 > between different distributions or deployments of Airship and
 > StarlingX then it would make sense to test them with whatever tools
 > those projects are using for testing their software, like the
 > OpenStack logo programs are doing with Tempest.

Jeremy explained clearly.

Tempest framework can be used via Tempest plugins to validate the things
beyond OpenStack services via API interaction or some more backend-specific
or control/data plan verification. It might need more brainstorming to achieve that.

NOTE: Tempest itself can not be extended for their testing, it is more of
providing the basic testing framework for OpenStack upstream + distro or Cloud.

But the preferred way is to use the existing testing tooling used by
Airship or StarlingX. Because the key thing here is long term maintenance
of different tooling used for CI/CD and certification program.  Using a single
tooling for both purposes makes more sense.

-gmann