[tc][election] Simple question for the TC candidates

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 17:44:50 UTC 2020

> >  I am thinking something Kolla-esque
> > as LOCI does not seem that alive nowadays (and does not seem to be
> > getting that much level of testing Kolla has from Kolla Ansible and
> > TripleO as both deployment projects consume Kolla images).
>
> Question: Why would we want another competing project? How do you
> intend to work with Kolla? Do you want to have this image building in
> the projects, and use another tooling to deploy those images? Did you
> start collaborating/discussing with non-TripleO projects on this?
>
> (snip, continued)
>
> Maybe I should rephrase. How do you want to make this work with Kolla,
> Triple-O, and other deployment projects outside those two? Do we
> distribute and collaborate (each project got a way to build its
> images), or do we centralize (LOCI/kolla - way)?

Let me answer both the versions. I feel like I put it in bad words,
I did not mean to start a completely separate project. What I wanted
to say is that I see it best to build possible common containerization
solution off Kolla (both as in deliverable and project). The fact is
Kolla has some shortcomings that would likely cripple its usage as
possible DevStack replacement/booster in gate in its current state.
My idea is to keep this centralized but with more visibility and ask
projects to officially support this method of deliverable distribution.
The whole undertaking stems from the fact that I perceive modern
software distribution as based on containers - you have the recipe,
you have the image, you can use it - you have the insight in how
it got to be and also are able to reduce repeatability of deployment
steps regarding building/installation, all by "official" means.
Since TC is about _technical_ _governance_, I'd say this project fits
as it deals with the technical part of organizing proper tooling for
the job and promothing it in the OpenStack community far and wide.

> > It would be easy to design deployment scenarios of subsets of
> > OpenStack
> > projects that work together to achieve some cloud-imagined goal other
> > than plain IaaS. Want some baremetal provisioning? Here you go.
> > Need a safe place for credentials? Be my guest!

> I am not sure what you mean there? Do you want to map OpenStack "sample
> configs" with gate jobs?

More or less - yes. They seem to need some refresh in the first place
(I guess this is where Ironic could shine as well).
Currently "sample configs" are vague descriptions of possibilities
with listings of projects and links. They should really be captured by
deployment scenarios we can offer and have them tested in the gate.
This is an interesting matter in its own right. We at Kolla Ansible
started some discussion based also on user feedback (which we want to
enhance with further with the Kolla Klub) [1]. The goal is to give good
coverage of scenarios users are currently interested in while keeping
CI resource usage low. You might notice these hardly align with "sample
configs". One reason for that is catering for real service coverage,
rather than very specific use case. Another is likely different audience
than marketing site.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/KollaAnsibleScenarios

-yoctozepto