[tc][election] Simple question for the TC candidates

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 18:10:36 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 19:44 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> > >  I am thinking something Kolla-esque
> > > as LOCI does not seem that alive nowadays (and does not seem to be
> > > getting that much level of testing Kolla has from Kolla Ansible and
> > > TripleO as both deployment projects consume Kolla images).
> >
> > Question: Why would we want another competing project? How do you
> > intend to work with Kolla? Do you want to have this image building in
> > the projects, and use another tooling to deploy those images? Did you
> > start collaborating/discussing with non-TripleO projects on this?
> >
> > (snip, continued)
> >
> > Maybe I should rephrase. How do you want to make this work with Kolla,
> > Triple-O, and other deployment projects outside those two? Do we
> > distribute and collaborate (each project got a way to build its
> > images), or do we centralize (LOCI/kolla - way)?
>
> Let me answer both the versions. I feel like I put it in bad words,
> I did not mean to start a completely separate project. What I wanted
> to say is that I see it best to build possible common containerization
> solution off Kolla (both as in deliverable and project). The fact is
> Kolla has some shortcomings that would likely cripple its usage as
> possible DevStack replacement/booster in gate in its current state.
for what its worth i rememebr talking with clark about if using the kolla
pre built image for other project would help speed up the gate in anyway.
the conclution we came too at the time was due to the way we prestage
git repos ince the vm and we do not expect using kolla image in the gate
to have any really speed up and it actully has a dissadvatage

which is we loose any validation that service are co installable on the
same host outside of contianers.

e.g. we dont ahve validation that deps of different project dont conflcit
sice they are all in different contianers so without adressing that i think
it would actully be a regression.

not that i dont like kolla imagess i do but it would not be good to use
them in the gate an  use kolla ansibel instead of devstack in my view
if we  consider co installablity to be important.
the same goes for any contaienised soltution for that matter.