[cinder][tooz]Lock-files are remained

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 14:43:21 UTC 2019

On 17/10, Herve Beraud wrote:
> Thanks Ben for your feedbacks.
>
> I already tried to follow the `remove_external_lock_file` few months ago,
> but unfortunately, I don't think we can goes like this with Cinder...
>
> As Gorka has explained to me few months ago:
>
> > Those are not the only type of locks we use in Cinder.  Those are the
> > ones we call "Global locks" and use TooZ so the DLM can be configured
> > for Cinder Active-Active.
> >
> > We also use Oslo's synchronized locks.
> >
> > More information is available in the Cinder HA dev ref I wrote last
> > year.  It has a section dedicated to the topic of mutual exclusion and
> > the 4 types we currently have in Cinder [1]:
> >
> > - Database locking using resource states.
> > - Process locks.
> > - Node locks.
> > - Global locks.
> >
> > As for calling the remove_external_lock_file_with_prefix directly on
> > delete, I don't think that's something we can do, as the locks may still
> > be in use. Example:
> >
> > - Start deleting volume -> get lock
> > - Try to clone volume -> wait for lock
> > - Finish deleting volume -> release and delete lock
> > - Cloning recreates the lock when acquiring it
> > - Cloning fails because the volume no longer exists but leaves the lock
>
> So the Cinder workflow and mechanisms seems to definitively forbid to
> us the possibility to use the remove features of oslo.concurrency...
>
> Also like discussed on the review (https://review.opendev.org/#/c/688413),
> this issue can't be fixed in the underlying libraries, and I think that if
> we want to fix that on stable branches then Cinder need to address it
> directly by adding some piece of code who will be triggered if needed and
> in a safely manner, in other words, only Cinder can really address it and
> remove safely these file.
>
> See the discussion extract on the review (
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/688413):

Hi,

I've given it some more thought, and I am now on the side of those that
argue that "something imperfect" is better than what we currently have,
so maybe we can reach some sort of compromise doing the following:

- Cleanup locks directory on node start
- Remove locks on delete volume/snapshot operation
- Remove locks on missing source on create volume (volume/snapshot)

It may not cover 100% of the cases, and in a long running system with
few deletions will not help, but it should at least alleviate the issue
for some users.

To illustrate the Cinder part of this approach I have written a WIP
patch [1] (and an oslo.concurrency one [3] that is not needed, but would
improve the user experience).  I haven't bothered to test it yet, but
I'll do it if we agree this is a reasonable compromise we are
comfortable with.

Cheers,
Gorka.

[1]: https://review.opendev.org/689486