[designate][heat][horizon][ironic][magnum][octavia][searchlight][senlin][vitrage][zaqar][zun] Upgrading nodejs version

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Wed Mar 13 23:14:26 UTC 2019

On 13/03/2019 22:57, Monty Taylor wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> NodeJS version 4 isn't a supported version anymore - and what's more
> there are no packages for it for bionic.
>
> To that end, all of the UI projects that are currently requesting
> node_version: 4 in their npm jobs [0] or who are using any of the
> templates that start with nodejs4- [1] are about to have a large amount
> of sad.
>
> I would personally recommend updating to node_version: 10 - since that's
> the most recent LTS and would give us until 2021-04-01 [2] before we
> need to deal with things again.
>
> BUT - I don't have a real opinion on course of action - I figure that's
> likely something to be discussed amongst the various UI projects. The
> only thing I have an opinion on is that the outcome probably shouldn't
> be "shrug, nodejs4 is fine". :)

Yeah - that sounds like something we should upgrade. Is there any
preferred way the horizon team has for us to update this? Any
known pitfalls?

I am honestly not sure what will happen if we go from 4 -> 10
(and for most of our team the horizon plugin is a blackbox),
so this is a trip into the unknown :/