Migrating git repos to OpenDev

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Fri Mar 8 17:29:46 UTC 2019

Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> writes:

> I think that would be a great idea, removing a /lot/ of
> confusion. Four questions:
>
> 1/ how much consent do we need from the unofficial project itself
> before renaming it to something that does not use the OpenStack name?
> A lot of them are abandoned so it might be hard to get all of them to
> agree before cleaning things up...

My personal opinion is that OpenStack, represented by the TC in this
case, owns the openstack/ namespace, and since the TC chose to let
projects use it previously, can revoke that permission.

But I'll defer to the TC to decide how much authority it has.  :)

> 2/ what would, say, openstack/ailuropoda be renamed to ?
> https://opendev.org/ailuropoda ? or
> https://opendev.org/opendev/ailuropoda ? Something else ?

Gitea does force us into the org/project hierarchy.  So we have to have
exactly two components in a project name separated by a /.

We could create a catch-all org for projects.  We've started using
opendev/ for repos related to opendev itself, e.g.:

  https://opendev.org/opendev/base-jobs

We could:

1) Use opendev/ for OpenDev itself and any other project
2) Move base-jobs to opendevorg/ and use opendev/ as a catch-all
3) Create some new catch-all org (did someone say stackforge?)
4) Put otherwise orgless projects in their own org (e.g.,
   ailuropoda/ailuropoda)

I have no strong opinions.  Feedback welcome, and I'll bring it up in
the next infra meeting.

> 3/ What would happen to the automatic GitHub mirroring when we rename
> unofficial projects ? I suspect the mirroring would stop ? Would we
> automatically remove the no-longer-mirrored project from GitHub ?

It would stop.  I do think it should then be removed from the openstack/
org on GitHub, as that would be rather misleading otherwise.  We can
either delete it, which is simple, or, if the project wants to establish
a new mirror location on GitHub, we could look into performing an org
transfer in order to establish redirects.  That is manual, time
consuming, and would require complex identity verification steps, but
possible.

> 4/ the reason why we created unofficial projects under openstack/ in
> the first place was that it was hard to rename projects afterwards
> when they actually became official. We have much less incoming
> openstack projects those days, so it might not be as much of a
> problem, but I was wondering if that was somehow simpler to do today ?

Sadly not yet.  There is a plugin for Gerrit which is in development:

  https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/rename-project/

We're running the wrong version of Gerrit, and it's development lags
behind Gerrit master slightly.  But someday we hope everything will
align and we can use that.

We have already automated the process of renaming projects in Gitea, so
when we do rename projects in Gerrit (for this migration and any smaller
renames in the future), we will have redirects in place on our mirror.

-Jim