Migrating git repos to OpenDev

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 8 14:35:45 UTC 2019

James E. Blair wrote:
> [...]
> Since all of the project git URLs are going to change (to replace
> git.openstack.org with opendev.org and review.openstack.org with
> review.opendev.org), we can additionally take the opportunity to
> reorganize projects into different organizations.
>
> For example, during the transition we will rename Zuul, and it's
> associated projects, from the "openstack-infra" org to "zuul".  So their
> new names will be "zuul/zuul", "zuul/nodepool", etc.
>
> This is an excellent time for the rest of the OpenStack Foundation
> pilot projects to do the same.
>
> If the OpenStack project desires this, it would also be a good time to
> move unofficial projects out of the openstack/ namespace.

I think that would be a great idea, removing a /lot/ of confusion. Four
questions:

1/ how much consent do we need from the unofficial project itself before
renaming it to something that does not use the OpenStack name? A lot of
them are abandoned so it might be hard to get all of them to agree
before cleaning things up...

2/ what would, say, openstack/ailuropoda be renamed to ?
https://opendev.org/ailuropoda ? or
https://opendev.org/opendev/ailuropoda ? Something else ?

3/ What would happen to the automatic GitHub mirroring when we rename
unofficial projects ? I suspect the mirroring would stop ? Would we
automatically remove the no-longer-mirrored project from GitHub ?

4/ the reason why we created unofficial projects under openstack/ in the
first place was that it was hard to rename projects afterwards when they
actually became official. We have much less incoming openstack projects
those days, so it might not be as much of a problem, but I was wondering
if that was somehow simpler to do today ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)