Migrating git repos to OpenDev

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Mar 8 17:40:06 UTC 2019

On 3/8/19 5:29 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> writes:
>
>> I think that would be a great idea, removing a /lot/ of
>> confusion. Four questions:
>>
>> 1/ how much consent do we need from the unofficial project itself
>> before renaming it to something that does not use the OpenStack name?
>> A lot of them are abandoned so it might be hard to get all of them to
>> agree before cleaning things up...
>
> My personal opinion is that OpenStack, represented by the TC in this
> case, owns the openstack/ namespace, and since the TC chose to let
> projects use it previously, can revoke that permission.
>
> But I'll defer to the TC to decide how much authority it has.  :)

I also have this opinion.

>> 2/ what would, say, openstack/ailuropoda be renamed to ?
>> https://opendev.org/ailuropoda ? or
>> https://opendev.org/opendev/ailuropoda ? Something else ?
>
> Gitea does force us into the org/project hierarchy.  So we have to have
> exactly two components in a project name separated by a /.
>
> We could create a catch-all org for projects.  We've started using
> opendev/ for repos related to opendev itself, e.g.:
>
>    https://opendev.org/opendev/base-jobs
>
> We could:
>
> 1) Use opendev/ for OpenDev itself and any other project
> 2) Move base-jobs to opendevorg/ and use opendev/ as a catch-all
> 3) Create some new catch-all org (did someone say stackforge?)
> 4) Put otherwise orgless projects in their own org (e.g.,
>     ailuropoda/ailuropoda)
>
> I have no strong opinions.  Feedback welcome, and I'll bring it up in
> the next infra meeting.

I am not a fan of 1 or 2 - I don't think the potential confusion of some
sort of association between the opendev project and those projecs is
worth it.

3 and 4 both seem fine to me - although I think I prefer stackforge/ as
an alternative for any non-official project that does not positively
identify an org it would like to be in.

>> 3/ What would happen to the automatic GitHub mirroring when we rename
>> unofficial projects ? I suspect the mirroring would stop ? Would we
>> automatically remove the no-longer-mirrored project from GitHub ?
>
> It would stop.  I do think it should then be removed from the openstack/
> org on GitHub, as that would be rather misleading otherwise.  We can
> either delete it, which is simple, or, if the project wants to establish
> a new mirror location on GitHub, we could look into performing an org
> transfer in order to establish redirects.  That is manual, time
> consuming, and would require complex identity verification steps, but
> possible.
>
>> 4/ the reason why we created unofficial projects under openstack/ in
>> the first place was that it was hard to rename projects afterwards
>> when they actually became official. We have much less incoming
>> openstack projects those days, so it might not be as much of a
>> problem, but I was wondering if that was somehow simpler to do today ?
>
> Sadly not yet.  There is a plugin for Gerrit which is in development:
>
>    https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/rename-project/
>
> We're running the wrong version of Gerrit, and it's development lags
> behind Gerrit master slightly.  But someday we hope everything will
> align and we can use that.

This is one of those places where someone finding the time to do some
java dev to finish that rename-project plugin could be super helpful.