[nova] [placement] [packaging] placement extraction check in meeting

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:09:24 UTC 2019

On 1/17/2019 6:07 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> Deployment tools:
>>
>> * Lee is working on TripleO support for extracted placement and
>> estimates 3 more weeks for just deploy (base install) support to be
>> done, and at least 3 more weeks for upgrade support after that. Read
>> Lee's status update for details [2].
>> * If nova were to go ahead and drop placement code and require
>> extracted placement before TripleO is ready, they would have to pin
>> nova to a git SHA before that which would delay their Stein release.
>> * Having the extraction span release boundaries would ease the upgrade
>> pain for TripleO.
>
> Can you (or Dan?) clarify if spanning the release boundaries is
> usefully specifically for tooling that chooses to upgrade everything
> at once and thus is forced to run Stein nova with Stein placement?
>
> And if someone were able/willing to run Rocky nova with Stein
> placement (briefly) the challenges are less of a concern?
>
> I'm not asking because I disagree with the assertion, I just want to
> be sure I understand (and by proxy our adoring readers do as well)
> what "ease" really means in this context as the above bullet doesn't
> really explain it.

I didn't go into details on that point because honestly I also could use
some written words explaining the differences for TripleO in doing the
upgrade and migration in-step with the Stein upgrade versus upgrading to
Stein and then upgrading to Train, and how the migration with that is
any less painful. I know Dan talked about it on the call, but I can't
say I followed it all well enough to be able to summarize the pros/cons
(which is why I didn't in my summary email). This might already be
something I know about, but the lights just aren't turning on right now.

Matt