[nova] [placement] [packaging] placement extraction check in meeting

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 17 12:07:27 UTC 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> Here is my attempt at summarizing the call we had. Notes are in the etherpad
> [1].

Thanks for writing this up, this aligns pretty well with what I
recall. Some additional notes/comments within.

> Deployment tools:
>
> * Lee is working on TripleO support for extracted placement and estimates 3
> more weeks for just deploy (base install) support to be done, and at least 3
> more weeks for upgrade support after that. Read Lee's status update for
> details [2].
> * If nova were to go ahead and drop placement code and require extracted
> placement before TripleO is ready, they would have to pin nova to a git SHA
> before that which would delay their Stein release.
> * Having the extraction span release boundaries would ease the upgrade pain
> for TripleO.

Can you (or Dan?) clarify if spanning the release boundaries is
usefully specifically for tooling that chooses to upgrade everything
at once and thus is forced to run Stein nova with Stein placement?

And if someone were able/willing to run Rocky nova with Stein
placement (briefly) the challenges are less of a concern?

I'm not asking because I disagree with the assertion, I just want to
be sure I understand (and by proxy our adoring readers do as well)
what "ease" really means in this context as the above bullet doesn't
really explain it.

> * Placement release notes will start at the current release and reference the
> nova release notes for anything older (Ocata->Rocky).

This is ready to go with https://review.openstack.org/#/c/631308/
and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/618708/ . Both need one more
+2.