[nova] [placement] [packaging] placement extraction check in meeting

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 16:32:01 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 09:09 -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 1/17/2019 6:07 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> > > Deployment tools:
> > >
> > > * Lee is working on TripleO support for extracted placement and
> > > estimates 3 more weeks for just deploy (base install) support to be
> > > done, and at least 3 more weeks for upgrade support after that. Read
> > > Lee's status update for details [2].
> > > * If nova were to go ahead and drop placement code and require
> > > extracted placement before TripleO is ready, they would have to pin
> > > nova to a git SHA before that which would delay their Stein release.
> > > * Having the extraction span release boundaries would ease the upgrade
> > > pain for TripleO.
> >
> > Can you (or Dan?) clarify if spanning the release boundaries is
> > usefully specifically for tooling that chooses to upgrade everything
> > at once and thus is forced to run Stein nova with Stein placement?
> >
> > And if someone were able/willing to run Rocky nova with Stein
> > placement (briefly) the challenges are less of a concern?
> >
> > I'm not asking because I disagree with the assertion, I just want to
> > be sure I understand (and by proxy our adoring readers do as well)
> > what "ease" really means in this context as the above bullet doesn't
> > really explain it.
>
> I didn't go into details on that point because honestly I also could use
> some written words explaining the differences for TripleO in doing the
> upgrade and migration in-step with the Stein upgrade versus upgrading to
> Stein and then upgrading to Train, and how the migration with that is
> any less painful. I know Dan talked about it on the call, but I can't
> say I followed it all well enough to be able to summarize the pros/cons
> (which is why I didn't in my summary email). This might already be
> something I know about, but the lights just aren't turning on right now.

a general questionon this topic.
is there any update on supprot for deploying and upgrading to extracted
placnement with other deployment tools

the main ones beyond triplo that come to mind are
kolla-ansible, juju, openstack-ansible, openstack helm

there are obviously others but before we remove the code in nova
i assume we will want to ensure that other tools beyond devstack, grenade
and tripleo can actuly deploy stien with extracted placemnt and idealy upgrade.

was this covered in the placement extration meeting.