[horizon][requirements] django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Dec 25 20:53:11 UTC 2019

On 12/23/19 9:59 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> The subject of this thread looks confusing to me.
> "django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel"
>
> Horizon team has not adopted Django 3.
> An issue I noticed is that django-babel is not compatible with Django 2.2 and
> translation message extraction in the master branch is now broken.
>
> If some test tries to install Django 3, it would be due to some
> misconfiguration.
>
> Thanks,
> Akihiro

Well, it'd be nice to have plans to get Django 3 compat for the end of
this cycle, otherwise, we'll get again stuck in downstream
distributions, just like we've been stuck in Debian with a broken
Horizon for nearly the whole of the last summer (due to Django 2.2 and
the new view class instead of method thing breaking all ...).

I guess we're all being super tired of Django breaking the world every 2
weeks. At least, I am. But I don't think we have any alternatives...
(and no, I do not have time, neither probably the skills, to work on
this, sorry...)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)