[horizon][requirements] django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 14:59:35 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 5:57 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> On 12/23/19 9:59 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> > The subject of this thread looks confusing to me.
> > "django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel"
> >
> > Horizon team has not adopted Django 3.
> > An issue I noticed is that django-babel is not compatible with Django 2.2 and
> > translation message extraction in the master branch is now broken.
> >
> > If some test tries to install Django 3, it would be due to some
> > misconfiguration.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Akihiro
>
> Well, it'd be nice to have plans to get Django 3 compat for the end of
> this cycle, otherwise, we'll get again stuck in downstream
> distributions, just like we've been stuck in Debian with a broken
> Horizon for nearly the whole of the last summer (due to Django 2.2 and
> the new view class instead of method thing breaking all ...).
>
> I guess we're all being super tired of Django breaking the world every 2
> weeks. At least, I am. But I don't think we have any alternatives...
> (and no, I do not have time, neither probably the skills, to work on
> this, sorry...)

Djagno 3 support is not in the list of horizon priorities in Ussuri
cycle as it is not an LTS release.
It is documented in [1]. The top priorities are found in [2].
I don't think we can do it as a priority considering the resource of
the active horizon developers.
It completely depends on development resources and is a topic of investment.
If someone is responsible to work on it to support both Django 2.2 and
3, I am happy to review it.

Thanks,
Akihiro

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/horizon/latest/contributor/policy.html#django-support