[TC] 'V' Technical Elections

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 23:01:00 UTC 2019

Hello!

/me takes TC hat off and puts election official hat on

Having run our handy dandy tool to project dates[1] for the elections, we
have some decisions to make again.

At this point we have threeish options:

1. Run the elections with a week in between with the TC election happening
BEFORE the PTL election like the script generated. The TC election would
run March 10 to March 31 and the PTL Election would run April 7 to April
21. The primary concern here is that it might lead to some election
burnout.

2. Run the elections back to back with the PTL election first (closer to
the historic norm). This would be tweaking the generated dates by pulling
the PTL election three weeks up and pushing back the TC dates by two weeks.
The PTL election would run March 3 to March 17 and the PTL Election would
run March 17 to April 7. Both elections would be concluded by milestone 3.
Similar concerns with this option to the first with election burnout.

3. Run the elections in parallel as a combined election, similar to how we
did for the Train elections. This is much easier for election officials
because we only need to generate one electorate. The two elections would
start March 10 and be done by March 31 following the TC election model with
a nominations period, a campaigning period (optional for PTL elections),
and then a polling period (assuming we need a runoff).

Other info to keep in mind when formulating your opinions:
- Extra ATC deadline currently is March 23-27 which will likely need to get
bumped earlier for any of these options
- RC1 is the week of April 20-24
- Milestone 3 is April 9
- Release schedule for reference[2]
- For TC member terms, those closing in on their ~1 year terms would be
closer to 13 months since the train elections concluded March 5th of last
year

-Kendall (diablo_rojo) & the Election Officials

[1]http://paste.openstack.org/show/787114/
[2]https://releases.openstack.org/ussuri/schedule.html