[TC] Election terms (was: V' Technical Elections)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Dec 4 23:39:32 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-04 15:01:00 -0800 (-0800), Kendall Nelson wrote:
[...]
> For TC member terms, those closing in on their ~1 year terms would
> be closer to 13 months since the train elections concluded March
> 5th of last year
[...]

Just to clarify, this is what our (recently updated) Technical
Committee Member Policy appendix to the OSF Bylaws says about TC
term durations:

    2.a. [...] Each Technical Committee member shall hold the seat
    for a term not to exceed sixteen months, but may be re-elected
    to the Technical Committee. After January 1, 2019, the term for
    the members of the Technical Committee shall be approved by a
    majority of the Technical Committee (“Term”) and shall be
    published publicly before each Technical Committee election; if
    no such Term is published the Term will be twelve calendar
    months. [...]

    https://www.openstack.org/legal/technical-committee-member-policy/

So those members elected in March can't actually serve past the
anniversary of their elections *unless* prior to the election in
which they were elected the seated TC had declared they would serve
a longer term. The bylaws allow the TC to set a longer term length,
but they must do so before the members who will serve that term are
elected.

So terms for half the TC members will be expiring at the start of
March, quite possibly weeks before another TC election is held to
fill their seats. This is what the TC charter seems to say:

    If the vacancy opens less than four weeks before the candidacy
    period for the next scheduled TC election begins, and the seat
    vacated would have been contested in the upcoming election
    anyway, then the seat will remain open until the election and
    filled by the normal election process.

    https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/charter.html

So with a strict reading of the bylaws and charter wording, the TC
will spend a few weeks with only 6 members until the suggested
election date. There are a few options:

1. Push the TC election back further. This probably similarly
implies backing the extra-ATC deadline up even more.

2. Amend the charter to allow the TC to reappoint the holders of the
expired seats until the next election (I can't quite tell if this
would violate the term limit wording in the bylaws, but it needs
discussing).

3. Probably only a solution for 2021 and later elections, but start
declaring now that TC seat terms are something like "14 months or
until the date of the next election" so that the TC doesn't need to
predict election timing more than a year in advance (OSF bylaws
authorize us to make it up to 16 months for that matter).
--
Jeremy Stanley