[loci] Stable Branches in Loci

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Thu Dec 20 17:58:57 UTC 2018

> On Dec 17, 2018, at 9:44 PM, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 09:43:37AM -0800, Chris Hoge wrote:
>> There is a need for us to work out whether Loci is even appropriate for
>> stable branch development. Over the last week or so the CentOS libvirt
>> update has broken all stable branch builds as it introduced an
>> incompatibility between the stable upper contraints of python-libvirt and
>> libvirt.
>
> Yup, as we've seen on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/622262 this is a
> common thing and happens with every CentOS minor release.  We're working
> the update to make sure we don't cause more breakage as we try to fix
> this thing.
>
>> libvirt. If we start running stable builds, it might provide a useful
>> gate signal for when stable source builds break against upstream
>> distributions. It's something for the Loci team to think about as we
>> work through refactoring our gate jobs.
>
> That's interesting idea.  Happy to discuss how we can do that in a way
> that makes sense for each project.  How long does LOCI build take?

Loci makes one build for each OpenStack project you want to deploy. The
requirements container takes the most time, as it does a pip wheel of
every requirement listed in the openstack/requirements repository, then
bind-mounts the complete set of wheels into the service containers during
those builds to ensure a complete and consistent set of dependencies.
Requirements must be done serially, but the rest of the builds can be
done in parallel.

What I'm thinking is if we do stable builds of Loci that stand up a
simplified all-in-one environment we can run Tempest against, we would
both get a signal for the Loci stable build (as well as master) and a
signal for requirements. Co-gating means we can check that an update to
requirements to fix one distrubution does not negatively impact the
stability of other distributions.

I have some very initial work on this in a personal project (this is how
I like to spend some of my holiday down time), and we can bring it up as
an agenda item for the Loci meeting tomorrow morning.

-Chris