[tripleo] [validations] Replacement of undercloud_conf module

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 21:18:52 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 12:54 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Context: https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1805825
>
> Today I randomly found this module:
> https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations/blob/d21e7fa30f9be15bb980279197dc6c5206f38a38/validations/library/undercloud_conf.py
>
> And it gave me 2 ideas, as I think we don't need this module and
> would consider it as technical debt at this point:
> - it's relying on a file, which isn't super safe and flexible IMHO.

We still use undercloud.conf though right? Why is it not safe (the data
has to be stored somewhere right)?

> - a lot of validations rely on Hieradata which isn't safe either, we
> saw it with the Containerized Undercloud.

Why is this not safe?

I commented on the LP you linked but it seems to me that a simple fix
would be to set the same hiera setting we used before so that the
location of the undercloud.conf is known. We still use and support
hiera for the Undercloud. It would be a simple matter to set this in an
undercloud service via t-h-t. If you wanted to you could even cache a
copy of the used version somewhere and then consume it that way right?

Dan