[tripleo] [validations] Replacement of undercloud_conf module

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 17:54:59 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

Context: https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1805825

Today I randomly found this module:
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations/blob/d21e7fa30f9be15bb980279197dc6c5206f38a38/validations/library/undercloud_conf.py

And it gave me 2 ideas, as I think we don't need this module and would
consider it as technical debt at this point:
- it's relying on a file, which isn't super safe and flexible IMHO.
- a lot of validations rely on Hieradata which isn't safe either, we saw it
with the Containerized Undercloud.

So I propose that:
- we export require parameters via the Heat templates into Ansible variables
- we consume these variables from tripleo-validations (can be in the
inventory or a dedicated var file for validations).

So that way we remove the dependency on having the undercloud.conf access
from Mistral Executor and also stop depending on Puppet (hieradata) which
we don't guarantee to be here in the future.

Can someone from TripleO validations team ack this email and put this work
in your backlog? If you need assistance we're happy to help but I believe
this is an important effort to avoid technical debt here.

Emilien Macchi