[openstack-dev] [nova] The createBackup API

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Mar 30 06:46:39 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Alex Xu <soulxu at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is spec proposal to fix a bug of createBackup API with microversion.
> (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511825/)
>
> When rotation parameter is '0', the createBackup API just do a snapshot, and
> then delete all the snapshots. That is meaningless behavier.
>
> But there is thing hope to get wider suggestion. Since we said before all
> the nova API should be primitive, the API shouldn't be another wrap of
> another API.
>
> So the createBackup sounds like just using the createImage API to create a
> snapshot, and upload the snapshot into the glance with index number in the
> image name, and rotation the image in after each snapshot.
>
> So it should be something can be done by the client scrips to do same thing
> with createImage API.
>
> We have two options here:
> #1. fix the bug with a microversion. And we aren't sure any people really
> use '0' in the real life. But we use microversion to fix that bug, not sure
> it is worth.
> #2. deprecate the backup API with a microversion, leave the bug along.
> Document that how the user can do that in the client script.

Thanks Alex for point of deprecating it. I tends to agree on option#2
as this is really proxy and wrapper API. Also it is not about just
this bug fix, but it is more about how much backup features nova going
to support via this API. In future, there might be request of
incremental backup support, multiple server backups in this API and i
do not think we are going to say yes to such requests.

I remember of implementing  script around createImage API for backup
use case used in NEC cloud but very long back. In my recent PoC on
OpenStack backup with Trilio data (openstack backup solution), Trilio
also does not use this APIs as long as i remember but i am confirming
it with Trilio team.

There are not much tooling available for openstack backup in market
and might be many people are using script based solution on top of
createBackup or createImage API.
Another point is that, this API is not complete backup solution as
alone, it still need tooling or scripting around this API for other
basic features of backup like incremental, backup of all VMs together
etc. So deprecating this API and ask to use createImage API in their
existing tooling/scripting should not be hard things to ask to users.

-gmann