[openstack-dev] [nova] The createBackup API

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:44:40 UTC 2018

There is spec proposal to fix a bug of createBackup API with microversion. (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511825/)

When rotation parameter is '0', the createBackup API just do a snapshot,
and then delete all the snapshots. That is meaningless behavier.

But there is thing hope to get wider suggestion. Since we said before all
the nova API should be primitive, the API shouldn't be another wrap of
another API.

So the createBackup sounds like just using the createImage API to create a
snapshot, and upload the snapshot into the glance with index number in the
image name, and rotation the image in after each snapshot.

So it should be something can be done by the client scrips to do same thing
with createImage API.

We have two options here:
#1. fix the bug with a microversion. And we aren't sure any people really
use '0' in the real life. But we use microversion to fix that bug, not sure
it is worth.
#2. deprecate the backup API with a microversion, leave the bug along.
Document that how the user can do that in the client script.

Looking for your comments.

Thanks
Alex