[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, March 30th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Mar 30 08:37:15 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of currently-considered changes at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

We also track TC objectives for the cycle using StoryBoard at:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project/923

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Resolution for minimal SIG governance [1]
* Update new projects reference WRT IRC meetings [2]
* Reanmed repo: python-openstacksdk -> openstacksdk
* New repos: python-cyborgclient, kolla-cli,
ansible-role-python_venv_build, ansible-role-k8s-rabbitmq

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/554254/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552728/

The main item this week is the approval of a minimal governance model
for SIGs. Any escalated conflict inside a SIG or between SIGs should now
be arbitrated by a "SIGs admin group" (formed of one TC member and one
UC member, with the Foundation executive director breaking ties in case
of need). A similar resolution was adopted by the UC:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/2018-03-19-sig-governance.html

== Voting in progress ==

A proposal is up to set the expectation early on that official projects
will have to drop direct tagging (or branching) rights in their Gerrit
ACLs once they are made official, as those actions will be handled by
the Release Management team through the openstack/releases repository.
Please check:

https://review.openstack.org/557737

== Under discussion ==

A new tag is proposed, to track which deliverables implemented a lower
dependency bounds check voting test job. There is some discussion on
whether a tag is the best way to track that. Chime in on:

https://review.openstack.org/557501

Jeffrey Zhang's proposal about splitting the Kolla-kubernetes team out
of the Kolla/Kolla-ansible team has evolved into a proposal to merge
kolla-kubernetes efforts with OpenStack-Helm efforts. The updated
proposal is discussed on a mailing-list thread in addition to the review:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/552531/
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-March/128822.html

The discussion is also still on-going the Adjutant project team
addition. Concerns about the scope of Adjutant, as well as fears that it
would hurt interoperability between OpenStack deployments were raised. A
deeper analysis and discussion needs to happen befoer the TC can make a
final call on this one. You can jump in the discussion here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/553643/

== TC member actions/focus/discussions for the coming week(s) ==

For the coming week I expect debate to continue around the three
proposals under discussion.

We'll be finalizing our list of proposed topics for the Forum in
Vancouver, ahead of the April 15 submission deadline. You can add ideas to:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-forum-TC-sessions

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

Feel free to add your own office hour conversation starter at:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tc-office-hour-conversation-starters

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)