[openstack-dev] [tripleo] storyboard evaluation

Jason E. Rist jrist at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 22:15:47 UTC 2018

On 03/02/2018 02:24 AM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> A quick update:
>
> - Discussed with Jiri Tomasek from TripleO UI squad and he agreed that his
> squad would start to use Storyboard, and experiment it.
> - I told him I would take care of making sure all UI bugs created in
> Launchpad would be moved to Storyboard.
> - Talked with Kendall and we agreed that we would move forward and migrate
> TripleO UI bugs to Storyboard.
> - TripleO UI Squad would report feedback about storyboard to the storyboard
> team with the help of other TripleO folks (me at least, I'm willing to
> help).
>
> Hopefully this is progress and we can move forward. More updates to come
> about migration during the next days...
>
> Thanks everyone involved in these productive discussions.
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:33 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> That particular example board was built from tasks semi-automatically,
>>> using a tag, by this script running on a cron job somewhere:
>>>
>>> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/zuul/
>> tree/tools/update-storyboard.py?h=feature/zuulv3
>>>
>>> We did this so that we could have a rule "any task that is open with
>>> the zuulv3 tag must be on this board". Jim very astutely noticed that
>>> I was not very good at being a robot that did this and thus created the
>>> script to ease me into retirement from zuul project management.
>>>
>>> The script adds new things in New, and moves tasks automatically to
>>> In Progress, and then removes them when they are completed. We would
>>> periodically groom the "New" items into an appropriate lane with the
>> hopes
>>> of building what you might call a rolling-sprint in Todo, and calling
>>> out blocked tasks in a regular meeting. Stories were added manually as
>>> a way to say "look in here and add tasks", and manually removed when
>>> the larger effort of the story was considered done.
>>>
>>> I rather like the semi-automatic nature of it, and would definitely
>>> suggest that something like this be included in Storyboard if other
>>> groups find the board building script useful. This made a cross-project
>>> effort between Nodepool and Zuul go more smoothly as we had some more
>>> casual contributors to both, and some more full-time.
>>
>> That's a great example that illustrates StoryBoard design: rather than
>> do too much upfront feature design, focus on primitives and expose them
>> fully through a strong API, then let real-world usage dictate patterns
>> that might result in future features.
>>
>> The downside of this approach is of course getting enough usage on a
>> product that appears a bit "raw" in terms of features. But I think we
>> are closing on getting that critical mass :)
>>
>> --
>> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

I just tried this but I think I might be doing something wrong...

http://storyboard.macchi.pro:9000/

This URL mentioned in the previous storyboard evaluation email does not
seem to work.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126258.html

Are you still evaluating this? Is the UI squad still expected to
contribute?  Do we have a better place to go for storyboard usage?  I
just ran into a bug and thought to myself "hey, I'll go drop this at the
storyboard spot, since that's what had been the plan" but avast, I could
not continue.

Can you enlighten me to the status?

-J

--