[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] LTS pragmatic example

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:55:37 UTC 2018

On 1/31/2018 2:51 AM, Saverio Proto wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am again proposing a change due to operations experience. I am
> proposing a clean and simple cherry-pick to Ocata.
>
> "it depends" works pretty bad as policy for accepting patches.
>
> Now I really dont understand what is the issue with the Stable Policy
> and this patch:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/539439/
>
> This is a UX problem. Horizon is giving the wrong information to the user.
>
> I got this answer:
> Ocata is the second phase of stable branches [1]. Only critical bugfixes
> and security patches are acceptable. I don't think it belongs to the
> category.
>
> But merging a patch that changes a log file in Nova back to Newton was
> OKAY few weeks ago.
>
> I will not be able to be in person at the PTG, but please talk about
> this. People just give up upstreaming stuff like this.
>
> thank you
>
> Saverio

Regarding the stable policy docs, there is a note right after the
support phases table saying, essentially, 'it depends':

https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#support-phases

"It’s nevertheless allowed to backport fixes for other bugs if their
safety can be easily proved. For example, documentation fixes, debug log
message typo corrections, test only changes, patches that enhance test
coverage, configuration file content fixes can apply to all supported
branches. For those types of backports, stable maintainers will decide
on case by case basis."

Furthermore there is the "Appropriate fixes" section:

https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#appropriate-fixes

That also goes into detail about risk vs reward here.

Maybe there should be an asterisk in the support phases table so that
people read the notes, or we should move the support phases table below
the note so it's considered.

Also, please keep in mind that the people doing stable branch
maintenance upstream aren't trying to make your life hard. There is no
one rule that fits all patches. The stable policy is a guideline, and if
there is doubt about whether or not a patch should be accepted in
stable, I consider the policy as the guideline for what the maintainers
should do.

Matt