[openstack-dev] [barbican] candidacy for PTL

Jiong Liu liujiong at gohighsec.com
Wed Feb 7 03:13:23 UTC 2018

+1, thanks Dave for leading Barbican team in the past cycles

> Message: 20
> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 15:13:31 -0500
> From: Ade Lee <alee at redhat.com>
> 	<openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
> Subject: [openstack-dev] [barbican] candidacy for PTL

> Fellow Barbicaneers,

> I'd like to nominate myself to serve as Barbican PTL through the
> Rocky cycle.

> Dave has done a great job at keeping the project growing and I'd
> like to continue his good work.

> This is an exciting time for Barbican.  With more distributions
> and installers incorporating Barbican, and a renewed focus on
> meeting security and compliance requirements, deployers will be
> relying on Barbican to securely implement some of the use cases
> that we've been working on for the past few years (volume encryption,
> image signing, swift object encryption etc.).

> Moreover, work has been progressing in having castellan adopted as
> a base service for OpenStack applications - hopefully increasing
> the deployment of secure secret management across the board.

> In particular, for the Rocky cycle, I'd like to continue the progress
> made in Queens to:

> 1) Grow the Barbican team of contributors and core reviewers.
> 2) Help drive further collaboration with other Openstack projects
>    with joint blueprints.
> 3) Help ensure that deployments are successful by keeping up on
>    bugs fixes and backports.
> 4) Help develop new secret store plugins, in particular :
>    -- a castallan secret store that will allow us to use vault and
>    custodia backends.
>    -- SGX?

I'm excited about introducing SGX enhancement into barbican.
We could implement another crypto plugin with SGX and
it's much safer than the default simple crypto plugin.
BTW, Intel is testing this feature and the demo is open source
on github https://github.com/cloud-security-research/sgx-kms