[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, February 2nd

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 2 10:52:39 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics (updated twice a week) at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

If you are working on something (or plan to work on something)
governance-related that is not reflected on the tracker yet, please feel
free to add to it !

== Recently-approved changes ==

* New project team: Qinling (Function as a Service) [1]
* Goal updates: ironic

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533827/

This has been a busy week for our infrastructure team, as we digested
the surge in activity linked to the Queens Feature Freeze (and related
release/branching requests). Gate levels look like they are back to
normal levels now...

We added a new project team to the OpenStack family this week. Qinling,
which allows to provide function-as-a-service on top of an OpenStack
cloud, was just approved. It will be officially included in the next
OpenStack release cycle, Rocky.

== PTG preparation ==

Dublin is only 24 days from now, and we should prepare a bit to make the
most of this event. The Project Teams Gathering is a productivity
booster: getting together for face-to-face time to get quick agreement
on complex questions and making quick progress on critical work.

We have a lot of tracks, some around a specific project team, some
around a specific SIG, and some around a specific area of discussion.
You can find the track layout at:

https://www.openstack.org/ptg#tab_schedule

We have extra room on Monday and Tuesday for missing (or last-minute)
areas of discussion. If you can think of something we should really be
discussing, please add your thoughts to:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/PTG-Dublin-missing-topics

Track leads have set up a number of etherpads to openly brainstorm what
to discuss. You can find those (or link to missing ones) here:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PTG/Rocky/Etherpads

New for this PTG, we'll have post-lunch presentations. Ideas and a
strawman programme are proposed here:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/dublin-PTG-postlunch

If you haven't registered yet, please note that the event is very likely
to sell out. I advise you to not wait too much before getting your ticket:

https://rockyptg.eventbrite.com

== Rocky goals ==

We have been making progress on selecting a set of goals for the Rocky
cycle. As a reminder, here are the currently-proposed goals:

* Storyboard Migration [2] (diablo_rojo)
* Remove mox [3] (chandankumar)
* Ensure pagination links [4] (mordred)
* Add Cold upgrades capabilities [5] (masayuki)
* Enable toggling DEBUG option at runtime [6] (gcb)

[2] https://review.openstack.org/513875
[3] https://review.openstack.org/532361
[4] https://review.openstack.org/532627
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533544/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/534605

In discussions this week the following set was proposed: mox reduction
and DEBUG runtime toggling. It represents a good mix of ops-facing
improvement and dev-facing tech debt reduction. Please chime in on the
threads and reviews if you think this would not be a reasonable set.

== Under discussion ==

A new project team was proposed to regroup people working on PowerVM
support in OpenStack. It is similar in many ways to the WinStackers team
(working on Hyper-V / Windows support). Please comment on the review at:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540165/

The discussion started by Graham Hayes to clarify how the testing of
interoperability programs should be organized in the age of add-on
trademark programs is still going on, now on an active mailing-list
thread. Please chime in to inform the TC choice:

https://review.openstack.org/521602
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126146.html

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

We need to finalize the set of Rocky goals, ahead of the PTG, so that
the champions for the selected goals can start planning their PTG
activities.

Thanks to pabelanger for volunteering to drive the S release naming
process. He needs to propose a release_naming.rst change proposing dates
and geographic area for the name choices.

Finally we need to start brainstorming the contents of the Monday
post-lunch presentation at the PTG (the "welcome to the PTG"
presentation which will be used to give situation awareness to attendees).

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

For the coming week, I expect discussions to still be focused around
Rocky goal selection and PTG prep.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)