[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Sean Mooney work at seanmooney.info
Tue Aug 7 13:24:44 UTC 2018

On 7 August 2018 at 12:52, Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> wrote:
> On 08/06/2018 09:02 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't have time to investigate these, but at least Glance was
>>> affected, and a patch was sent (as well as an async patch). None of them
>>> has been merged yet:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586050/
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586716/
>>>
>>> That'd be ok if at least there was some reviews. It looks like nobody
>>> cares but Debian & Ubuntu people... :(
>>>

>> Keep in mind that your priorities are different than everyone elses. There are
>> large parts of the community still working on Python 3.5 support (our
>> officially supported Python 3 version), as well as smaller teams overall
>> working on things like critical bugs.
>>
>> Unless and until we declare Python 3.7 as our new target (which I don't think
>> we are ready to do yet), these kinds of patches will be on a best effort basis.
>
> This is exactly what I'm complaining about. OpenStack upstream has very
> wrong priorities. If we really are to switch to Python 3, then we got to
> make sure we're current, because that's the version distros are end up
> running. Or maybe we only care if "it works on devstack" (tm)?
python 3.7 has some backward incompatible changes if i recall correctly
such as forked thread not inheriting open file descriptor form the parent.
i dont think that will bite us but it might mess with  privsep deamon
though i think we
fork a full process not a thread in that case.

the point im trying to make here is that  following the latest python versions
is likely going to require us to either A.) use only the backwards
compatible subset or B.)
make some code test what versions of python 3 we are using the same
way the six package does.

so im not sure pushing for python 3.7 is the right thing to do. also i would not
assume all distros will ship 3.7 in the near term. i have not check lately but
i believe cento 7 unless make 3.4 and 3.6 available in the default repos.
ubuntu 18.04 ships with 3.6 i believe
im not sure about other linux distros but since most openstack
deployment are done
on LTS releases of operating systems i would suspect that python 3.6
will be the main
python 3 versions we see deployed in production for some time.

having a 3.7 gate is not a bad idea but priority wise have a 3.6 gate
would be much higher on my list.
i think we as a community will have to decide on the minimum and
maximum python 3 versions
we support for each release and adjust as we go forward. i would
suggst a min of 3.5 and max of 3.6 for rocky.
for stien perhaps bump that to min of 3.6 max 3.7 but i think this is
something that needs to be address community wide
via a governance  resolution rather then per project. it will also
impact the external python lib we can depend on too which is
another reason i think thie need to be a comuntiy wide discussion and
goal that is informed by what distros are doing but
not mandated by what any one distro is doing.
regards
sean.