[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Tue Aug 7 11:52:48 UTC 2018

On 08/06/2018 09:02 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:

>> I didn't have time to investigate these, but at least Glance was
>> affected, and a patch was sent (as well as an async patch). None of them
>> has been merged yet:
>>
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586050/
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/586716/
>>
>> That'd be ok if at least there was some reviews. It looks like nobody
>> cares but Debian & Ubuntu people... :(
>>

> Keep in mind that your priorities are different than everyone elses. There are
> large parts of the community still working on Python 3.5 support (our
> officially supported Python 3 version), as well as smaller teams overall
> working on things like critical bugs.
>
> Unless and until we declare Python 3.7 as our new target (which I don't think
> we are ready to do yet), these kinds of patches will be on a best effort basis.

This is exactly what I'm complaining about. OpenStack upstream has very
wrong priorities. If we really are to switch to Python 3, then we got to
make sure we're current, because that's the version distros are end up
running. Or maybe we only care if "it works on devstack" (tm)?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)