[openstack-dev] OpenStack lagging behind 2 major python versions: we need a Python 3.7 gate

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Aug 7 14:11:43 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 03:24 PM, Sean Mooney wrote:
> so im not sure pushing for python 3.7 is the right thing to do. also i would not
> assume all distros will ship 3.7 in the near term. i have not check lately but
> i believe cento 7 unless make 3.4 and 3.6 available in the default repos.
> ubuntu 18.04 ships with 3.6 i believe

The current plan for Debian is that we'll be trying to push for Python
3.7 for Buster, which freezes in January. This freeze date means that
it's going to be Rocky that will end up in the next Debian release. If
Python 3.7 is a failure, then late November, we will remove Python 3.7
from Unstable and let Buster release with 3.6.

As for Ubuntu, it is currently unclear if 18.10 will be released with
Python 3.7 or not, but I believe they are trying to do that. If not,
then 19.04 will for sure be released with Python 3.7.

> im not sure about other linux distros but since most openstack
> deployment are done
> on LTS releases of operating systems i would suspect that python 3.6
> will be the main
> python 3 versions we see deployed in production for some time.

In short: that's wrong.

> having a 3.7 gate is not a bad idea but priority wise have a 3.6 gate
> would be much higher on my list.

Wrong list. One version behind.

> i think we as a community will have to decide on the minimum and
> maximum python 3 versions
> we support for each release and adjust as we go forward.

Whatever the OpenStack community decides is not going to change what
distributions like Debian will do. This type of reasoning lacks a much
needed humility.

> i would suggst a min of 3.5 and max of 3.6 for rocky.

My suggestion is that these bugs are of very high importance and that
they should at least deserve attention. That the gate for Python 3.7
isn't ready, I can understand, as everyone's time is limited. This
doesn't mean that the OpenStack community at large should just dismiss
patches that are important for downstream.

> for stien perhaps bump that to min of 3.6 max 3.7 but i think this is
> something that needs to be address community wide
> via a governance resolution rather then per project.

At this point, dropping 3.5 isn't a good idea either, even for Stein.

> it will also
> impact the external python lib we can depend on too which is
> another reason i think thie need to be a comuntiy wide discussion and
> goal that is informed by what distros are doing but
> not mandated by what any one distro is doing.
> regards
> sean.

Postponing any attempt to support anything current is always a bad idea.
I don't see why there's even a controversy when one attempts to fix bugs
that will, sooner or later, also hit the gate.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)