[openstack-dev] [tripleo] PTG session about All-In-One installer: recap & roadmap

Javier Pena jpena at redhat.com
Tue Apr 3 14:00:03 UTC 2018

> Greeting folks,
>
> During the last PTG we spent time discussing some ideas around an All-In-One
> installer, using 100% of the TripleO bits to deploy a single node OpenStack
> very similar with what we have today with the containerized undercloud and
> what we also have with other tools like Packstack or Devstack.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-rocky-all-in-one

I'm really +1 to this. And as a Packstack developer, I'd love to see this as a
mid-term Packstack replacement. So let's dive into the details.

> One of the problems that we're trying to solve here is to give a simple tool
> for developers so they can both easily and quickly deploy an OpenStack for
> their needs.
>
> "As a developer, I need to deploy OpenStack in a VM on my laptop, quickly and
> without complexity, reproducing the same exact same tooling as TripleO is
> using."
> "As a Neutron developer, I need to develop a feature in Neutron and test it
> with TripleO in my local env."
> "As a TripleO dev, I need to implement a new service and test its deployment
> in my local env."
> "As a developer, I need to reproduce a bug in TripleO CI that blocks the
> production chain, quickly and simply."

"As a packager, I want an easy/low overhead way to test updated packages with TripleO bits, so I can make sure they will not break any automation".

> Probably more use cases, but to me that's what came into my mind now.
>
> Dan kicked-off a doc patch a month ago:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/547038/
> And I just went ahead and proposed a blueprint:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/all-in-one
> So hopefully we can start prototyping something during Rocky.
>
> Before talking about the actual implementation, I would like to gather
> feedback from people interested by the use-cases. If you recognize yourself
> in these use-cases and you're not using TripleO today to test your things
> because it's too complex to deploy, we want to hear from you.
> I want to see feedback (positive or negative) about this idea. We need to
> gather ideas, use cases, needs, before we go design a prototype in Rocky.

I would like to offer help with initial testing once there is something in the repos, so count me in!

Regards,
Javier