[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 21 18:54:40 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

This week's meeting was primarily focused on reviewing the discussions
and plans that were proposed at the PTG. We also merged one new
guideline which was frozen prior to the PTG.

For a review of PTG activity, please see the etherpad[4]

One of the big takeaways from the PTG for the API-SIG was how the SIG is
perceived by the user community. We had not realized that the user
community considered us 'dev-only', which was never our intent. We
agreed that it is in the best interest of all to become more inclusive
of SDK and user-related concerns. This spurred a good deal of
conversation at the PTG, and the SIG is starting to make plans about how
we can best meet the user community's needs, and include their concerns
in our guidance.

Another big topic from the PTG was a discussion around capabilities and
how they should be included in OpenStack APIs. There are no concrete
plans yet, but the conversation in Denver exposed many issues related to
the techinical and social sides of creating a defining capabilities
guideline.

Microversions also reared their head in the form of a long discussion
about how SDK developers and users are consuming microversions at a very
granular level. This discussion opened many surprised eyes as we learned
how different SDK platforms deal with microversions, and what exactly
are the best practices. We agreed that it is generally good for an SDK
to shield its users from the details of microversions, but to allow
power users to access them if they care to.

During the Queens cycle you can expect the API-SIG to be taking up these
issues from the PTG, and become a more open forum for not only API
consumers, but also to the wider SDK community.

# Newly Published Guidelines

* Explain, simply, why extensions are bad
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491611/

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

None this week

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and
service discovery
   Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready
for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address
your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1]
with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include
any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion
of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack
API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!