[openstack-dev] [all][api] POST /api-sig/news

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Sep 7 16:55:19 UTC 2017

Greetings OpenStack community,

This week's meeting was mainly focused on discussion of plans for the
PTG and about improving the outreach efforts of the SIG.

The API-SIG will have a room on Monday and Tuesday at the PTG. In
addition to the guided review process [6] we've mentioned before,
there's an etherpad [5] where an agenda of topics is being planned. We
will be sharing some of the time with people interested in SDKs and
other issues related to consuming APIs. If there are gaps we will be
performing live readings of mordred's version and service discovery epic
[4].These readings may or may not involve hand puppets.  If you would
like to propose a topic for the PTG, please add it to the aforementioned
etherpad.

In addition to our discussion of events for the PTG, we also talked
about how we can improve our outreach and messaging to the wider
OpenStack community. This was predicated by a review of our email
advertising the guided review process. Although we have talked about
this topic and taken steps to advance the SIG in the past, a fresh take
on this discussion revolved around the notion of reaching project teams
earlier in their API design process. Starting after the PTG, the API-SIG
will investigate reaching out to projects which are still incubating
with the hope that interacting with these teams early in their lifecycle
will be of maximum benefit.

# Newly Published Guidelines

None this week.

# API Guidelines Proposed for Freeze

Guidelines that are ready for wider review by the whole community.

* Explain, simply, why extensions are bad
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/491611/

# Guidelines Currently Under Review [3]

* A (shrinking) suite of several documents about doing version and
service discovery
   Start at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/459405/

* WIP: microversion architecture archival doc (very early; not yet ready
for review)
   https://review.openstack.org/444892

# Highlighting your API impacting issues

If you seek further review and insight from the API WG, please address
your concerns in an email to the OpenStack developer mailing list[1]
with the tag "[api]" in the subject. In your email, you should include
any relevant reviews, links, and comments to help guide the discussion
of the specific challenge you are facing.

To learn more about the API WG mission and the work we do, see OpenStack
API Working Group [2].

Thanks for reading and see you next week!