[openstack-dev] [ptls] MOAR UPDATES: Sydney Project Onboarding

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:47:15 UTC 2017

On 02:34 Oct 24, Dave McCowan (dmccowan) wrote:
> We're working on the Barbican Onboarding session now.  I don't think our Boston session went very well, and the results borne out; we were unable to convert any attendee to active contributor.  It was a much bigger group than I was expecting and everyone was at a different starting point .  I was unprepared for both of those situations.
>
> I'd like to hear some success stories from Boston to learn from.
>
> For projects that were successful, what topics did you cover?
> For prospective Sydney Onboarders, what do you want to learn at these sessions?

An effort we talked about at the last PTG and finally surfaced is the
contributor portal [1] and contributor guide [2].

The portal is a good landing page to explore different projects and their
contributor guides listed in the project yaml [3].

The contributor guide is included on the portal and the hope is people go
through that first which includes general topics like irc setup, account setup
and git setup. More people can contribute general topics so all projects
benefit.

The contributor guide should at least cover those topics for you to have groups
break off and do. Then you can spend your preparing time on other topics like
team specific topics and tools.

If anyone has time and wants to help all projects choosing to use this guide,
read my previous post [3] announcing this project and asking for help.

[1] - https://www.openstack.org/community/
[2] - https://docs.openstack.org/contributors/
[3] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123740.html

--