[openstack-dev] [all][docs][contributor-guide] Onboarding Contributor Content Help Wanted
thingee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 00:20:32 UTC 2017
tldr; There's an effort to collect general documentation for new OpenStack
contributors. The content that qualifies as general so far is Git, IRC, account
setup. We are looking for help to write new content at the git repo
No that subject tag is not a mistake. There are two projects recently that I've
been active with that have the word "Contributor" in it.
1) Contributor Portal - The openstack.org/community page update that focuses
more on guiding potential contributors to areas of interest. This will link
people to the general documentation set for that category (The Contributor
Guide)and the project team's specific documentation if any. Everyone gets
general onboarding contributor documentation for free! In addition it serves
as a great landing page of resources for existing contributors. 
2) Contributor Guide - A sphinx project of where the general documentation
is stored.  I'm waiting on a couple of patches to merge , but this
will be published at https://docs.openstack.org/contributors
My goal is to make the Contributor Guide and Contributor Portal available to
all projects for their Onboarding rooms in Sydney .
If you're not familiar with this effort, we're creating general documentation
(e.g. IRC, git, account setup, and more) in an effort to keep them up-to-date
and not have outdated silos of this type of documentation. From the PTG
discussion  it was agreed that general documentation can live in a separate
repository (i.e. Contributor Guide), but project specific documentation will
continue to live in the development documentation of the respected project.
I'm looking for volunteers to help build our Contributor guide. I think
a good starting point is to look at how we can help keep some content fresh for
things like the Upstream Institute . They have a great layout that we can
build off of from their content page .
If anyone is interested in helping with making our onboarding experience
better, please checkout the git repository  and lets collaborate on this
content. I'm thingee on freenode and in the #openstack-doc room for these
Shout out to Kendall Nelson, Anne Bertucio, Frank Kloeker, Ildiko Vancsa, Amy
Marrich, Thierry Carrez, Lauren Sell, Jimmy McArthur, Wes Wilson, the
Documentation Core team, and Infra core team for getting this project going!
 - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-June/118877.html
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511033/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512865/
 - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512871/
 - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123206.html
 - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122534.html
 - https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/
 - https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/upstream-training-content.html
 - https://git.openstack.org/contributor-guide
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the OpenStack-dev