[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Repo structure for ansible-k8s-roles-* under TripleO's umbrella

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Oct 9 19:36:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:29 AM, Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been working on something called triple-apbs (and it's respective
> roles) in
> the last couple of months. You can find more info about this work
> here[0][1][2]
>
> This work is at the point where I think it would be worth start discussing
> how
> we want these repos to exist under the TripleO umbrella. As far as I can
> tell,
> we have 2 options (please comment with alternatives if there are more):
>
> 1. A repo per role: Each role would have its own repo - this is the way I've
> been developing it on Github. This model is closer to the ansible way of
> doing
> things and it'll make it easier to bundle, ship, and collaborate on,
> individual
> roles. Going this way would produce something similar to what the
> openstack-ansible folks have.

I think we've proven that this is a better way to handle these types
of things so I would prefer option #1. I would say that it might be
useful to also create a basic cookiecutter template for these repos so
we can quickly bootstrap new ones. One thing that has a been a
repeated problem when you do split these modules is having to do bulk
updates for requirements or shared structure items and making sure we
don't accrue a ton of tech-debt over time.

Thanks,
-Alex