[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Repo structure for ansible-k8s-roles-* under TripleO's umbrella

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Mon Oct 9 15:17:55 UTC 2017

On 9.10.2017 11:29, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been working on something called triple-apbs (and it's respective roles) in
> the last couple of months. You can find more info about this work here[0][1][2]
>
> This work is at the point where I think it would be worth start discussing how
> we want these repos to exist under the TripleO umbrella. As far as I can tell,
> we have 2 options (please comment with alternatives if there are more):
>
> 1. A repo per role: Each role would have its own repo - this is the way I've
> been developing it on Github. This model is closer to the ansible way of doing
> things and it'll make it easier to bundle, ship, and collaborate on, individual
> roles. Going this way would produce something similar to what the
> openstack-ansible folks have.
>
> 2. Everything in a single repo: this would ease the import process and
> integration with the rest of TripleO. It'll make the early days of this work a
> bit easier but it will take us in a direction that doesn't serve one of the
> goals of this work.
>
> My preferred option is #1 because one of the goals of this work is to have
> independent roles that can also be consumed standalone. In other words, I would
> like to stay closer to the ansible recommended structure for roles. Some
> examples[3][4]
>
> Any thoughts? preferences?

+1 for option #1. In addition to standalone usage, it feels like a
better match for "the container way of doing things" in that we'll be
able to easily mix and match APB versions when necessary. (E.g. having
problems with bleeding edge Glance APB? Just use a slightly older one
without being compelled to downgrade the other APBs.) A parallel could
be drawn to how openstack/puppet-* repos are managed and IMO it's been
working well that way.

Using APBs this way also seems more "out-of-the-box ready" for APBs that
don't originate in TripleO project, should we ever want/need to use them
(e.g. for non-OpenStack services).

Global changes will be harder as they'll require separate commits, and
in general it's more repos (+ RPMs) to manage, but i hope the
aforementioned benefits outweigh this.

Jirka