[openstack-dev] [i18n] [nova] understanding log domain change - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/439500

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 06:35:46 UTC 2017

Doug Hellmann wrote on 3/10/2017 11:39 PM:
> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-03-10 09:28:52 -0500:
>> Excerpts from Ian Y. Choi's message of 2017-03-10 01:22:40 +0900:

>>> I18n team describes translation plan and priority in Zanata -
>>> translation platform
>>>    : https://translate.openstack.org/ .

>>> When I18n team decided to removal of log translations in Barcelona last
>>> October, there had been no
>>> discussion on the removal of oslo.i18n translation support for log messages.
>>> (I have kept track of what I18n team discussed during Barcelona I18n
>>> meetup on Etherpad - [1])
>>>
>>> Now I think that the final decision of oslo.i18n log translation support
>>> needs more involvement
>>> with translators considering oslo.i18n translation support, and also
>>> more people on community wide including
>>> project working groups, user committee, and operators as Matt suggested.
>>>
>>> If translating log messages is meaningful to some community members and
>>> some translators show interests
>>> on translating log messages, then I18n team can revert the policy with
>>> rolling back of translations.
>>> Translated strings are still alive in not only previous stable branches,
>>> but also in translation memory in Zanata - translation platform.
>>>
>>> I would like to find some ways to discuss this topic with more community
>>> wide.
>> I would suggest that we discuss this at the Forum in Boston, but I think
>> we need to gather some input before then because if there is a consensus
>> that log translations are not useful we can allow the code cleanup to
>> occur and not take up face-to-face time.
> I've started a thread on the operators mailing list [1].

Thanks a lot, Doug!

I do not know how to reply to [1] as an un-subscriber of
openstack-operator mailing list using my Mail client program,
but since there is no response from APAC for several days [2], I asked
Japanese & Chinese language coordinators and community leader /
ambassador to collect and tell opinions on [2].

I am now receiving opinions from Korean users & operators and currently
there are about 10 comments all mentioning
that log translation functionality is not needed.

I will keep update if I receive more opinion on this issue.

With many thanks,

/Ian

[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2017-March/012902.html