[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] TC Report 30

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Jul 25 17:23:19 UTC 2017

(Also at: https://anticdent.org/tc-report-30.html )

Welcome to this week's TC Report. I think this report will be somewhat
short. There's no meeting scheduled for today, a fair few TC members
are in China for an event while others are embroiled in getting things
done before milestone 3.

The main burst of TC-related activity was a "non-boring" office hour
[last Thursday](http://p.anticdent.org/wAq). A conversation that began
as a sharing of opinions on the new SIGs framework quickly expanded to
cover many questions including how do we deal with the fact there is
more work than there is people do it, how do we ensure people don't
burn out and that participating in OpenStack is actually a positive
experience, and how do we increase the depth and breadth of
contribution (and is such contribution even a good thing) from
corporations who make money because of OpenStack.

This all eventually led to the idea that it might be a good idea to do
some interview-driven research of the difficulties faced by
contributors (of all sorts, not only developers) who want to be and
feel successful in the community but sometimes do not. This could
provide some useful data to be used by the TC, the UC, the board,
projects, and employers to make some adjustments.

For many people the difficulties or challenges are either so obvious
or been around for so long that the idea of doing interviews probably
feels wasteful (in the sense of "OMG, we already know, just _do_
something!"). The problem is that without a corpus of analysed data
there is no third party authoritative thing that can be pointed at in
discussion and we'll simply become embroiled in the same old
arguments.
--
Chris Dent                  ┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)       https://anticdent.org/