[openstack-dev] [kolla][TripleO] New areas for collaboration between Kolla and TripleO

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 14:33:04 UTC 2017

On 20/07/17 15:27 +0100, Andy McCrae wrote:
>Hi all,
>

>> Some areas of collaboration:
>>
>> * Kubernetes resources: Work on the same set of resources. In this case,
>>  resources means the existing templates in kolla-kubernetes. Find ways to
>> share
>>  the same resources rather than having 2 different sets of resources.
>>
>> * Configuration management: Work on a common ansible role/module for
>> generating
>>  configuration files. There's a PoC already[1] but it's still being worked
>> on.
>>  The PoC will likely turn into an Ansible module rather than a role.
>> @flaper87
>>  is working on this.
>>

>On this point specifically, we have the config_template module[1] in
>OpenStack-Ansible, which sounds like it
>already does similar things to what you are after. Essentially you can
>supply a yaml formatted config and it will
>generate a json, ini or yaml conf file for you. We have some docs around
>using the module [2] - and it's already in use by the
>ceph-ansible project.
>
>We use it on top of templates, to allow the deployer to specify any options
>that aren't templated, but you could
>just as easily use it on a blank/empty start point and do away with
>templates completely.
>
>We tried to push it into Ansible core a few years ago, but there was push
>back based on there being other ways to
>achieve that, but I think there has been a shift in Ansible's approach to
>accepting new features/modules - so
>Kevin Carter (cloudnull) is going to give that another go at upstreaming
>it, since it seems generically useful
>for Ansible projects.
>
>Hopefully that is useful, happy to discuss this more (or any other
>collaboration points!) if that does sound interesting.
>Andy
>
>[1]
>https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible-plugins/blob/master/action/_v2_config_template.py
>[2]
>https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/openstack-ansible/draft/app-advanced-config-override.html

I just learned this module exists. Thanks for reaching out!

By looking at the source code, it looks like this is exactly what we need and
what we were hoping to come up with. YAY! Open Source! YAY! OpenStack!

As mentioned on IRC, I'll add validation to this module (check the keys actually
exist, the types are valid, etc) based on the YAML schema that can be generated
with oslo-config-gen now.

I'll reach out again as asoon as I have something to show on this front.
Thanks again for your work,
Flavio

--
@flaper87