[openstack-dev] [kolla][TripleO] New areas for collaboration between Kolla and TripleO

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 20 12:07:08 UTC 2017

Hello Team,

The TripleO team and the Kolla team met on IRC yday to explore areas where
collaboration is possible, now that TripleO is looking into jumping on the
Kubernetes wagon.

Below you can find a brief summary of the meeting and some of the action items
that came out from it. But, before that, I'd like to take the chance to thank
everyone who participated in the meeting as I believe it was a productive
conversation. There are still many more to have but it's a good example of what
is possible.

Bullet summary:

* The Kolla team went into details about how kolla-kubernetes uses Helm.
* kolla-kubernetes doesn't depend on Helm as much as it depends on gotpl. Helm
  is still being used to render the template and running the services, though.
  Although it's not planned, it would be technically possible to change the
  latter with calls to kubectl and the former with calls to gotpl directly.
  Again, not planned, not even discussed. Just a thought.
* TripleO would rather not have another template language.
* TripleO is interested in a solution that is primarily based on Ansible.

Some areas of collaboration:

* Kubernetes resources: Work on the same set of resources. In this case,
  resources means the existing templates in kolla-kubernetes. Find ways to share
  the same resources rather than having 2 different sets of resources.

* Configuration management: Work on a common ansible role/module for generating
  configuration files. There's a PoC already[1] but it's still being worked on.
  The PoC will likely turn into an Ansible module rather than a role. @flaper87
  is working on this.

* Work on a common orchestration playbook: It would be possible to work on a set
  of playbooks that could be shared across kolla-kubernetes, TripleO and other
  projects to orchestrate an OpenStack deployment.

Moving Forward:

Configuration management is certainly one area that we can start working on
already. As mentioned above, I've started working on it based on a previous PoC
that Doug Hellmann did. I'm in the process of translating the role into an
ansible module 'cause I believe a python module would be better for this case.

The work on common orchestration depends, to some extent, on the work for using
the same set of kubernetes resources. I'm also looking into this topic. As
mentioned in the meeting, the TripleO team would rather not add a new templating
language to the stack so I'm looking into other ways we could make this happen.
For example, I added support for generating k8s YAML files to
ansible-kubernetes[2]. No idea whether that will land or whether it makes sense
but, I'm actively working on this.

Once we figure some of the above out, we can start working on a common playbook
for orchestration. I've not mentioned anything about repos, teams, etc because I
don't think this discussion is relevant right now. Let's get something going and
work the logistics out later on.

Finally, Emilien and Michal will sync to make sure the PTG sessions for Kolla
and TripleO don't overlap so we can have more chances for shared sessions.
Ideally, we'll get to the PTG with some prototypes done already and we'll use
that time for more granular planning.

Thoughts? Corrections? Did I miss something?
Flavio

[0] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/kolla/2017/kolla.2017-07-19-16.00.log.html
[1] https://github.com/flaper87/oslo-config-ansible
[2] https://github.com/ansible/ansible-kubernetes-modules/pull/4