[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Jul 14 15:45:01 UTC 2017

On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:32 PM, Fei Long Wang <feilong at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> I agree with Zane for most of the parts. But one thing I don't really
> understand is, why OpenStack community is still confusing at the IaaS,
> PaaS and SaaS, does the classification really mater at nowadays? Do we
> really need a label/tag for OpenStack to limit it as an IaaS, PaaS or
> SaaS? I never see AWS says it's an IaaS, PaaS or SaaS. Did Azure or
> Google Cloud say that? I think they're just providing the service their
> customer want.

Sure, they may not distinguish those things publicly, but in their internal development teams it is very likely that they understand these boundaries. And just for another quick example, from the Azure site:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/azure-vs-aws/

"We are the only cloud provider recognized in the industry as having leading solutions in IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. And Azure PaaS platform services can help you be more productive and increase your ROI according to this Forrester Total Economic Impact study.”

So I don’t think that this distinction is peculiar to OpenStack.

-- Ed Leafe