[openstack-dev] [all][tc] How to deal with confusion around "hosted projects"

feilong feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Fri Jul 14 21:36:30 UTC 2017

On 15/07/17 03:45, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2017, at 10:32 PM, Fei Long Wang <feilong at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Zane for most of the parts. But one thing I don't really
>> understand is, why OpenStack community is still confusing at the IaaS,
>> PaaS and SaaS, does the classification really mater at nowadays? Do we
>> really need a label/tag for OpenStack to limit it as an IaaS, PaaS or
>> SaaS? I never see AWS says it's an IaaS, PaaS or SaaS. Did Azure or
>> Google Cloud say that? I think they're just providing the service their
>> customer want.
> Sure, they may not distinguish those things publicly, but in their internal development teams it is very likely that they understand these boundaries. And just for another quick example, from the Azure site:
>
> https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/azure-vs-aws/
>
> "We are the only cloud provider recognized in the industry as having leading solutions in IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. And Azure PaaS platform services can help you be more productive and increase your ROI according to this Forrester Total Economic Impact study.”
>
> So I don’t think that this distinction is peculiar to OpenStack.

Yep, there is no conflict between you and me. It's good to understand
the XaaS boundary within OpenStack community, such as there is no
argument to say Zaqar is a PaaS layer service. What I'm saying is, is it
really necessary to limit OpenStack only on IaaS?

I can see the contradiction happening in OpenStack community. OpenStack
are successful  on the IaaS layer as a de facto open standard. So we'd
like to grow to get a big success. But we're running into some troubles
because we're running too fast. Then some people said, we should stop
grow the scope of OpenStack, let's just focus on IaaS. However, that
shouldn't be the excuse to stop building a better ecosystem around
OpenStack. If the classification is really matter, then we can define
(we already have?) the core service at IaaS layer. But I still want to
see some upper layer services within OpenStack community, such as LBaaS,
DNSaaS, MQaaS, etc, etc.

Just my $0.02

> -- Ed Leafe

Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Senior Cloud Software Engineer
Tel: +64-48032246
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington