[openstack-dev] [heat] Online video meet up this week (topic:review)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Jul 12 12:22:01 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-12 10:24:00 +0800 (+0800), Rico Lin wrote:

> > On 2017-07-12 01:47:02 +0800 (+0800), Rico Lin wrote:
> > [...]
> > > we will make our meeting this week as an online video meeting
> > [...]
> >
> > Friendly reminder: "If the project has meetings [...] they should be
> > public and in IRC. They should all be logged and published"
> > https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/new-projects-requirements.html
>
> I would rather call this video meet as `meet up` as in title said,
> since we will not discuss any other thing but just review and
> share thought about each patch. (Which I will definitely share the
> information On IRC and WIKI for sure)

This seems like a game of semantics. In your earlier message (quoted
above) you said, "we will make our meeting this week as an online
video meeting," and you've scheduled it for the exact same time as
your normal IRC meeting. I'm not sure how anyone can come to a
different conclusion than that you're (at least experimenting with)
replacing your weekly IRC meetings with teleconferencing.

> > Also, while Zoom's service and client software may be "free" in the
> > gratis sense, they are not free in the libre sense. Moving your
> > meetings to a proprietary system (whether it charges money for you
> > to be able to use it or not) isn't in the spirit of an open
> > community and necessarily excludes participation by people who value
> > software freedom.
>
> That's a great stand of point that we all agree on (or otherwise
> why we're here:)), but through the team meeting, we can't think
> out for a video channel that's happened to be a pure open source
> one (and stable to use). And of course, if people can help to
> provide such an environment for us to try on, then I'm happy to
> give it a test :)

The point wasn't whether there are open alternatives, just that
you're expressly choosing convenience over software freedom. I get
that different people place different priorities on this: for some
free software is nice to have as long as it doesn't get in their
way, while for others it's a mandate even if it means not getting to
use some shiny new feature. The decision doesn't directly impact me
as I only ever at most lurk in the Heat meeting in case anyone
requests my input and maybe occasionally read the minutes/log, but
as an example set by a long-standing team within the community it's
certainly disappointing.
--
Jeremy Stanley