[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci] decreased coverage for telemetry

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 00:39:48 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Pradeep Kilambi <prad at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I was looking through the mailing list and I did not see any emails
> > explicitly calling out the decreased coverage for telemetry in tripleo
> due
> > to [1].  A series of changes went into the CI system to disable telemetry
> > [2].
> >
> > There is work being done to restore more coverage for telemetry by
> limiting
> > the resources it consumes [3].  We are also working on additional
> scenarios
> > in t-h-t/ci/environments/ to better cover ceilometer.
> >
> > If the CI environment you are working in has the resources to cover
> > ceilometer that is great, however if you find issues like [1] we highly
> > suggest you follow the same pattern until coverage is restored upstream.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1693174
> > [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1680195
> > [3]
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475838/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/474969/
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476666/
> >

> Thanks for starting this thread Wes. I concur with this. We got bitten
> recently by many issues that we could have caught in ci had telemetry
> been enabled. I spoke to trown and Emilien about this a few times
> already. I do understand the resource footprint it causes.  But with
> recent improvements and changes upstream, things should be back to
> being more manageable. We do have telemetry tested in scenario001 job,
> but that doesn't cover all scenarios. So there is a gap in coverage.
>
>  I hope we can either re-enable these services by default in CI and
> how things work or at least add a separate gate job to be able to test
> HA scenario properly with telemetry enabled.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> ~ Prad

While Prad and were having the conversation, I raised the point that the
tripleo
community may be more willing to turn on more coverage for ceilometer if
the
gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-scenario001-multinode-oooq-puppet-nv job that runs
on ceilometer changes
was moved from non-voting to a voting job.

Note, we are trying to get more and more projects to run tripleo based jobs
in their check gates generally.

Thanks