[openstack-dev] [tripleo][ci] decreased coverage for telemetry

Pradeep Kilambi prad at redhat.com
Tue Jul 11 19:41:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I was looking through the mailing list and I did not see any emails
> explicitly calling out the decreased coverage for telemetry in tripleo due
> to [1].  A series of changes went into the CI system to disable telemetry
> [2].
>
> There is work being done to restore more coverage for telemetry by limiting
> the resources it consumes [3].  We are also working on additional scenarios
> in t-h-t/ci/environments/ to better cover ceilometer.
>
> If the CI environment you are working in has the resources to cover
> ceilometer that is great, however if you find issues like [1] we highly
> suggest you follow the same pattern until coverage is restored upstream.
>
> Thank you!
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1693174
> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1680195
> [3]
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/475838/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/474969/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476666/

Thanks for starting this thread Wes. I concur with this. We got bitten
recently by many issues that we could have caught in ci had telemetry
been enabled. I spoke to trown and Emilien about this a few times
already. I do understand the resource footprint it causes.  But with
recent improvements and changes upstream, things should be back to
being more manageable. We do have telemetry tested in scenario001 job,
but that doesn't cover all scenarios. So there is a gap in coverage.

 I hope we can either re-enable these services by default in CI and
how things work or at least add a separate gate job to be able to test
HA scenario properly with telemetry enabled.

--
Cheers,
~ Prad