[openstack-dev] [kolla-ansible] [kolla] Am I doing this wrong?

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Mon Jan 23 18:03:16 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

Thanks for responding.

> The fact gathering on every server is a compromise taken by Kolla to
> work around limitations in Ansible. It works well for the majority of
> situations; for more detail and potential improvements on this please
> have a read of this post:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-November/107833.html

So my problem with this is the logging in to the compute nodes.  While this may be fine for a smaller deployment.  Logging into thousands, even hundreds, of nodes via ansible to gather facts, just to do a deployment against 2 or 3 of them is not tenable.  Additionally, in our higher audited environments (pki/pci) will cause our auditors heartburn.

> I'm not quite following you here, the config templates from
> kolla-ansible are one of it's stronger pieces imo, they're reasonably
> well tested and maintained. What leads you to believe they shouldn't be
> used?
>
> >     * Certain parts of it are 'reference only' (the config tasks),
>  >     are not recommended
>
> This is untrue - kolla-ansible is designed to stand up a stable and
> usable OpenStack 'out of the box'. There are definitely gaps in the
> operator type tasks as you've highlighted, but I would not call it
> ‘reference only'.

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-kolla/%23openstack-kolla.2017-01-09.log.html#t2017-01-09T21:33:15

This is where we were told the config stuff was “reference only”?

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer
GoDaddy