[openstack-dev] [kolla-ansible] [kolla] Am I doing this wrong?

Paul Bourke paul.bourke at oracle.com
Tue Jan 24 11:48:39 UTC 2017

Ah, I think you may be misreading what Sean is saying there. What he
means is kolla-ansible provides the bare minimum config templates to
make the service work. To template every possible config option would be
too much of a maintenance burden on the project.

Of course, users will want to customise these. But instead of modifying
the templates directly, we recommend you use the "config override"
mechanism [0]

This has a number of benefits, the main one being that you can pick up
new releases of Kolla and not get stuck in merge hell, Ansible will pick
up the Kolla base templates and merge them with user provided overrides.

Wrt to the fact gathering, I understand your concern, we essentially
have the same problem in our team. It can be raised again for further
discussion, I'm sure there's other ways it can be solved.

[0]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla-ansible/advanced-configuration.html#openstack-service-configuration-in-kolla

-Paul