[openstack-dev] [tripleo] removing glance-registry & api v1

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 00:21:44 UTC 2017

Just some heads-up for those who were interested by removing Glance
Registry from TripleO (yes Flavio, I'm looking at you !).

Because TripleO relies on Heat for the pingtest (validation that
OpenStack cloud is up and running) and because Heat doesn't support
Glance v2 API [1], we strongly rely on Glance v1 API and therefore
Glance Registry service now.
I've started a thread [2] to ask Heat folks when they plan to support
Glance v2 API.

The pingtest is a heat template used to manage the images, volumes and
servers. Because our scenarios are testing boot from volume, creating
from an image, Glance API is used.
A (dirty) workaround would be to stop testing boot from volume and
manage the glance image creating by just using osc in tripleo-ci
scripts, and find a way to give the image ID to the heat template. I
personally don't like it as I consider it as a test regression and I'm
not sure we want that at this point.

Here's the work done to remove Glance Registry in both Puppet & TripleO CI:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:g-registry/removal

Any feedback or suggestion is welcome. On my side, I won't work on the
workaround as I don't like the idea, and I'll just wait for Heat to
support Glance v2 API.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/240450/
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-January/109722.html
--