[openstack-dev] [tripleo] removing glance-registry & api v1

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 11:09:30 UTC 2017

On 05/01/17 19:21 -0500, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>Just some heads-up for those who were interested by removing Glance
>Registry from TripleO (yes Flavio, I'm looking at you !).
>
>Because TripleO relies on Heat for the pingtest (validation that
>OpenStack cloud is up and running) and because Heat doesn't support
>Glance v2 API [1], we strongly rely on Glance v1 API and therefore
>Glance Registry service now.
>I've started a thread [2] to ask Heat folks when they plan to support
>Glance v2 API.
>
>The pingtest is a heat template used to manage the images, volumes and
>servers. Because our scenarios are testing boot from volume, creating
>from an image, Glance API is used.
>A (dirty) workaround would be to stop testing boot from volume and
>manage the glance image creating by just using osc in tripleo-ci
>scripts, and find a way to give the image ID to the heat template. I
>personally don't like it as I consider it as a test regression and I'm
>not sure we want that at this point.

As much as I would like to get rid of it I think it's best for us to keep it
around a bit longer. However, I do think we should have a way to disable it, at
least for the overcloud or other cases where the registry is not really needed.

>Here's the work done to remove Glance Registry in both Puppet & TripleO CI:
>https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:g-registry/removal
>
>Any feedback or suggestion is welcome. On my side, I won't work on the
>workaround as I don't like the idea, and I'll just wait for Heat to
>support Glance v2 API.

I'll follow-up with the heat team and see what's missing and how we can move
forward. I'd rather have this fixed than the workaround you proposed.

Flavio