[openstack-dev] [all][swg] per-project "Business only" moderated mailing lists

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 27 17:18:10 UTC 2017

Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>> This is not for users who only want to see some projects. That is a well
>> understood space and the mailman filtering does handle it. This is for
>> those who want to monitor the overall health of the community, address
>> issues with cross-project specs, or participate in so many projects it
>> makes little sense to spend time filtering.
>
> Monday morning and the caffiene is just beginning to reach my brain,
> but this seems counter-intuitive to me.  I consider myself someone who
> _does_ want to keep in touch with the majority of the community, and
> breaking things into N additional mailing lists makes that harder, not
> easier.  I _do_ include core team updates, mascots, social meetings in
> that set of things to pay a little attention to here, especially
> around summit/PTG/Forum/etc times.
>
> I've seen a couple of descriptions of who this proposal is not
> intended to address, who exactly is expected to benefit from more
> mailing lists?

I'm not (yet) convinced that getting rid of 10% of ML messages (the ones
that would go to the -business lists) is worth the hassle of setting up
50 new lists, have people subscribe to them, and have overworked PTL
moderate them...

Also from my experience moderating such a -business list (the
openstack-tc list) I can say that it takes significant effort to avoid
having general-interest discussions there (or to close them when they
start from an innocent thread). Over those 50+ -business mailing-lists
I'm pretty sure a few would diverge and use the convenience of isolated
discussions without "outsiders" potentially chiming in. And they would
be pretty hard to detect...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)