[openstack-dev] [cinder] [nova] confusion on where nova_catalog_admin_info is used in cinder

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:48:53 UTC 2017

On 2/14/2017 7:48 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> This is only used by the file based drivers, who need to call nova for
> assistance with attached snapshots. Most drivers won't use it, including
> the default, LVM.
>
> I can't comment on the test coverage, sorry.
>
> On 14 February 2017 at 13:01, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     After some of the confusion around endpoints in devstack, we decided to
>     simplify the endpoints registered in devstack to only the ones needed
>     for development. Basically only register "public" interfaces unless
>     there is something special about the service.
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/433272/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/433272/> is the change.
>
>     Matt Riedemann pointed out that this would break Cinder because there is
>     a hardcoded concept of nova_catalog_admin_info -
>     https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/cfc617b0cea99ed6994f08e5337fd5b65ea9fd1c/cinder/compute/nova.py#L39-L41
>     <https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/cfc617b0cea99ed6994f08e5337fd5b65ea9fd1c/cinder/compute/nova.py#L39-L41>
>
>     Except... it didn't (see results on
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/433272/
>     <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/433272/>).
>
>     What is more confusing, is the oslo.config dump at the beginning of
>     cinder service starts there don't have any reference to any of these
>     nova_ config variables.
>
>     How is this code loaded and used? Is there no testing of cinder -> nova
>     happening in the gate? Is this missing testing, or are there reasons
>     these configurations would never load that code?
>
>             -Sean
>
>     --
>     Sean Dague
>     http://dague.net

> --
> --
> Duncan Thomas

OK so the NFS job would tickle it, but that might not be in the
experimental queue for devstack (but it is in nova's experimental queue
so we could hack this up to test it).

I thought we were testing volume retype/migration now though? That calls
swap volume in nova which then calls back to cinder to tell cinder when
the swap is done. Or did the volume retype/migration test never land?

Matt Riedemann